REGARDING WATER RESISTANCE:
First and foremost please ensure that you buy a watch that is fit for purpose ie. do not buy an dress watch and expect to be able to dive with it. If you need a watch to be able to withstand certain water activities, start at 10BAR/100M minimum.
There is no such thing as a WATERPROOF watch. Watches are only water resistant and the METER rating on a watch technically means nothing and they are convoluted. To help you undertstand them we have compiled the following:
IF YOUR WATCH HAS A SCREW-DOWN CROWN, MAKE SURE IT’S ALWAYS TIGHTLY SEALED. NEVER OPPERATE PUSHERS OR CROWNS UNDER WATER.
Various watches contain BAR/ATM/Depth ratings.
It is best practice to NEVER TAKE ANY WATCH INTO HOT WATER / BATHS / SHOWERS. The sudden change in temperature and pressure will cause seals and parts to expand/contract and lubricants to run and dial glues to melt.
Even if a watch is water-resistant, avoid wearing it in the bath or in area where detergents (soap, shampoo, etc.) are being used.
Such conditions can reduce water resistance.
Consider the following international standards:
- 3BAR / 3ATM / 30M / 100FT - A 3BAR watch is considered a dress watch and should not be exposed to water at all, but might withstand light rain for a short duration of time or slight splash drops when washing hands. These watches generally do not have gaskets in the crown and pushers, nor screw down crowns. Water penetrates them easily. KEEP THEM AWAY FROM WATER!
- 5BAR / 5ATM / 50M / 165FT - The watch can withstand light splashes when washing hands, rain drizzle etc. This watch is still not recommended for swimming and water exposure should still be avoided.
- 10BAR / 10ATM / 100M / 330FT - The watch is suitable for leisure swimming. No water sports or poolside diving/sea diving. Even diving into a pool or surfing a wave can penetrate a 10BAR rating with enough force.
- 20BAR / 20ATM / 200M / 660FT - The watch is suitable for swimming, high-impact water sports and scuba diving.
- More than 30BAR / 30ATM / 300M / 990FT - Suitable for high-impact water sports, scuba diving and saturation diving.
WATCHBOYZ CAN NOT HONOUR WARRANTY AGREEMENTS THAT DID NOT ADHERE TO THESE GUIDELINES or ANY CLAIMS AGAINST A WATCH EXPOSED TO HOT WATER.
Adhere to the guidelines and your watch will serve you well for many years to come.
For more on international standards: